Thursday, 23 March 2017

4 Tips for the perfect evening in & some of my most-loved books


Throughout the week, we are constantly kept busy by our everyday lives, be it work or school. My energy has been sapped from the events of the day, that I feel to weary and I end up not taking proper time for myself, time in which I completely relax and unwind.

For example, reading, the one thing that never fails to calm me before I go to sleep, and makes my worries and stresses fly out the window. Instead becomes something that gets put on the back burner until the weekend or until I have the time. What I'm trying to say is, is that we mustn't put our 'me' time on the dusty shelves, leaving it there until we reach a point in which our resources are depleted, and our mind is charged to the maximum with stress. Of course it's never that simple, so here are my top tips on how to have a relaxing evening.



Don't schedule anything during this time. Although this sounds so simple, it's actually a lot harder than I often anticipate, as most of the time unforeseen deadlines materialize out of nowhere or I'm behind on some homework that needs to be handed in ASAP. To help with this I find that keeping a set schedule and being organized is key. Personally, in terms of doing my schoolwork I like to try and determine how much studying needs to be done before a test, exam or deadline and divide the amount of pages that need to be finished in order to successfully reach the time limit. As much as we all hate to hear it, organisation is the answer. So try as much as possible to keep organised. However, this is much easier said then done and I'm not always so successful, haha.

Personally my preferred one of the two is a calm, soothing and tranquil bath. Unfortunately for me, Cape Town, where I live is currently in the middle of terrible drought, and our dams are practically empty and there are water restrictions in place, meaning no bath time for me. As annoying as it can be, it's very much a necessity. Therefore, the alternative is a relaxing shower. Play some music, as I often find that it has the power to turn my bad mood into a better one.

Treat your skin - exfoliate and clean it thoroughly. Obviously washing our faces and bodies is something that we're supposed to do everyday, but nonetheless, it never fails to make me feel like a brand-spanking new woman, go the extra mile and slather on a face mask.


My favorite thing to drink at the moment is a nice, comforting cup of chai latte, especially the brand Pukka Chai. There's something about a hot cup of something yummy, sweetened with a drizzle of honey that makes you feel all warm and subdued inside.

Reading is one of my most-loved things to do, it assists in helping me feel relaxed, it makes me let go of all the worries that have plagued my mind and it distracts me from reality temporarily. I can escape into the worlds of kings and queens, or the everyday lives of someone relatable. It comforts me when I'm feeling down, uplifting my spirits. If reading isn't your thing, well then I'm afraid to say that you most probably just haven't found the right book yet ;). This is something that I firmly believe in, there's a book for everyone. So I've made up a list of some of my favorite books that allow me to slip into a different reality.


"...But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along."
  • Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles - A romance in which we encounter a hate-to-love story, characters that encounter their own conflicts and struggles making you fall in love with them even more and a story with a surprising and unexpected heart-wrenching emotional impact.
"I want to know how to make this girl laugh. I want to know what makes her cry. I want to know what it feels like to have her look at me as if I’m her knight in shinning armor"
  • The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh - A YA fantasy, inspired by the tale of A Thousand and One Nights, filled to the brim with diverse culture and a romance in which a girl falls in love with a king that has a tormented heart.
“The more a person pushes others away, the clearer it becomes he is in need of love the most.”

Of course, we all know from experience that things like this never happen according to plan and things are bound to distract or prevent us from having an evening to ourselves because that's just what life is. Sometimes after a long week day, I usually spend the evening studying, catching up or just getting up to date with everyday things. I'm so lazy after doing all those things that I end up falling face first into bed and I surprisingly enough, end up having the best sleep of my life and in the morning I wake up feeling ready for the day and satisfied with what I have managed to accomplish previously. There are so many ways in which we can refresh and revitalize and what I've mentioned in this post is only one of many. 

What do you do to relax and refresh? Any tips? Favorite books that never fail to make you happy?



No comments :

Post a Comment