Wednesday, 6 April 2016

Why You Shouldn't Hesitate To Re-read Your All Time Favourite Book or Series


I recently re-read the whole of Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series, now if you've been reading my posts regularly you might remember that I've mentioned that this is the series that got me started in reading, it's the series that shaped me as the bookworm I am today. 

Going into this series all over again was nerve-wracking to say the least. I had so many thoughts plaguing my mind, the main one was that I was absolutely TERRIFIED that I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I did the first time or that I wouldn't even like the books at all. Why did I think this? Mainly because I've been seeing some mixed reviews on this series saying how they didn't like her writing or it was to cliche etc. Now you must remember that The Mortal Instruments was the first series I EVER read/fell in love with and since then I've grown as a reader, my tastes have changed since then, so it was definitely possible that I might not like this series if I was to read it again. And if this happened I would have an identity crisis and the world would end.




I started with City of Bones, Obviously since it's the first book in the series, and I have to admit that although I ended up falling in love with the character's and it's complex world all over again I could see why some people didn't like this book. The first thing I noticed in this book was the writing, yes it was still good but I still couldn't help but notice how much Clare's writing has improved since then. For example sometimes her descriptions/metaphors of certain things were a touch to long or sometimes her writing didn't flow as nicely as it does in her latest books. BUT it wasn't terrible, which is the important thing and this just proves how much Cassandra Clare has grown as a writer.

Now this second point has more to do with my own personal re-reading experience then anything else but the second thing I noticed was that I didn't fangirl like a crazy person over the certain events that happened in this book. At first my mind did it's annoying thing where it over thought everything and it made me panic that I wasn't enjoying the book as much as the first time and blah blah blah. BUT I realized that it's because I already knew about everything that was going to happen in this book. Which should be obvious, I know, but remember I have a weird over-thinking mind. And because I already knew what was going to happen to all the characters and I knew who lived and who died there was no suspense or "OH MY GOSH if this and this happens I will DIE" or "WHAT IF SO AND SO DIES?! I CAN'T DEAL" *cue hysterics* etc. It was rather just a blissful feeling of nostalgia and the occasional fangirling.


This was one of my favourite things about re-reading the Mortal Instruments, that wonderful feeling of nostalgia and experiencing the feeling of falling in love with the characters all over again and sometimes falling even more in love with them. For example when I originally read TMI I never really got the hype over Sizzy because I was all "CLACE CLACE CLACE, CLACE IS BEST" but when I re-read the Mortal Instruments I fell in love with Simon and Isabelle and I became more invested in them then I was originally.

What re-reading this series has taught me is that when you re-read a beloved series/book you won't experience the same emotions/feels you felt originally because you're reading this book from a totally different mindset. Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you're like me, don't be afraid to re-read your favourite books! Because they were your favourite books in the first place for a reason, so just DO IT. I sound like a Nike advertisement. And if the worst case scenario happens and you end up not loving the book as much, well it's not the end of the world! Well it sort of is because you might just end up having a minor identity crisis and all. Everything will be alright in the end, so like I said, JUST DO IT.


Thank you for listening to my excessive word vomit, tell me your experiences of re-reading a beloved book series/standalone. Have you ever re-read a book and ended up not loving it as much as before? TELL ME ALL THE THINGS.


No comments :

Post a Comment