Wednesday, 13 April 2016

Review - Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands #1) by Alwyn Hamilton

24934065Title: Rebel of the Sands
Author: Alwyn Hamilton
Series: Rebel of the Sands #1
Genre: Young adult, fantasy
Published: 4 February 2016, Faber & Faber
Format: Paperback, 358 pages
Source: My own
Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

"Tell me that and we'll go. Right now. Save ourselves and leave this place to burn. Tell me that's how you want your story to go and we'll write it straight across the sand."

Dustwalk is an unforgiving, dead-end town. It's not the place to be poor or orphaned or female. And yet Amani Al'Hiza must call it 'home'.

Amani wants to escape and see the world she's heard about in campfire stories.

Then a foreigner with no name turns up, and with him she has the chance to run.

But the desert plains are full of dangerous magic. The Sultan's army is on the rise and Amani is soon caught at the heart of a fearless rebellion...

An epic story of swirling desert sands, love, magic and revolution.




_________________________________________________________________________________


I've been seeing Rebel of the Sands everywhere since it's release date as well as the many positive reviews, so of course when I saw this at my local book shop I had to go and purchase it, also THAT COVER is absolutely stunning, how could I not get it?! IT'S SHINY. My preccioouuuusss

freaks and geeks why not tv why the hell not

But unfortunately this book didn't live up to it's hype. I went into Rebel of the Sands with some high expectations and came out somewhat disappointed. Don't get me wrong this book wasn't terrible in fact it was very good but it just wasn't as amazing as the hype lead me to believe. 

First things first, the plot. I was thoroughly entertained by the plot of Rebel of the Sands. It was set in a modern world with some middle eastern/western elements added in, it was fast paced, captivating and there was never a dull moment but unfortunately I did have a few problems with it.

Taylor Swift Bad Blood now we got problems gif Imgur Tumblr

For example I found it a teensy weensy bit predictable at times. The ending didn't surprise me or blow me away, in fact I was expecting it. Personally I felt like the ending of Rebel of the Sands was unoriginal and it felt like something that happens in every other YA book ever. The same situation happened with the plot twists, they didn't shock or surprise me at all. In fact I was suspecting it once I got about two thirds of the way through. *view spoiler* At first I was wondering if Jin was the Rebel Prince but then I wasn't so sure, all I knew was that Jin had something do with the Rebel Prince. And what do you know? He's the Rebel Princes brother. Surprise surprise. *end of spoiler* 

When I first met Amani I immediately liked her, she was a phenomenal shooter, she was a risk taker and she was tough. But when Amani *view spoiler* left Tamid, her best friend, behind to die to save her own skin *end of spoiler* I was so mad and it was the one and only thing that  I didn't like about her. But throughout the story she had some extremely great character development which made up for it in the end.

Jin, I loved Jin. He is definitely my favourite character so far. He was snarky, sassy and of course could kick some baddies butts. I adored the romance he had with Amani, I thought it was endearing, romantic and it had everything I like in a romance. 

Although I did like Amani and Jin one of the overall issues I had was to do with the characters in general. I felt like I didn't really get to know them or connect with them properly. Why? To be honest I'm not exactly sure but I think it had to with the fast pace and short length of the story and because of this it felt like there wasn't really enough time to connect or get to know them as much as I would have liked to. 

Overall I'm excited to see where this series goes and I'm really looking forward to reading the sequel despite some of my issues with it. It's the perfect book to pick up after reading an emotionally draining and humongous book that isn't a contemporary *cough* Lady Midnight *cough*. 


What did you think of Rebel of the Sands? Who was your favourite character? What did you think of the storyline?



No comments :

Post a Comment