Wednesday, 16 March 2016

Review - All the Rage by Courtney Summers

26098396Title: All the Rage
Series: N/A
Author: Courtney Summers
Genre: Contemporary, young adult
Published: 
Format: Paperback, 321 pages
Source: Pan Macmillan SA (Thank you:))
Rating: 4/5 Stars

TRIGGER WARNING: RAPE

Kellan Turner is not the golden boy everyone thinks he is and Romy Grey knows that for a fact. But when she speaks up, she is branded a liar. Telling the truth has cost her everything, because no one wants to believe a girl from the wrong side of town.

But when news of Kellan assaulting another girl gets out, the cost of staying silent might be more than Romy can bear.
All The Rage examines the shame and silence inflicted upon young women in a culture that refuses to protect them.










_________________________________________________________________________________






This book gave me goosebumps. Books with this type of situation/story are always either a hit or a miss, it can depict the subject terribly or beautifully be it mental illness/rape etc, BUT All the Rage touched on such an unpleasant subject in the best way possible. It's one of the reasons that I liked this book so much. Courtney Summers wasn't afraid to dive deep into the nitty, gritty details of rape,
“I wish I didn’t have a body, sometimes.”


Besides the fact that this book touches beautifully on a sensitive subject it also has the most GLORIOUS writing. Courtney captures your attention from start to finish, it's the type of book that you can't put down and when you do you're constantly thinking about it. It's the kind of writing where everything just seems to flow, it feels almost lyrical.

“I press my hands against my face and split myself in two. Push away the side that’s the truth because that’s the side that wants to be angry at him for how wrong he is because of all the things he doesn’t know. I focus on the side I’ve shown to him. There’s so much missing, but it’s better that it’s missing. And as long as it’s missing, that makes everything he’s saying to me now—right.”


I think because I'm a girl I can automatically relate to Romy because rape is something that happens commonly to many young girls and it's a general fear that girls have. (Disclaimer: I'm not trying to imply that rape is gender specific I'm just saying that it frequently occurs more with girls)

“You know all the ways you can kill a girl?
God, there are so many.”
I felt like Romy's actions were my actions if I was in that type of situation. I don't really know how to explain this but all I can say is I related to Romy so well and I think lot's of people will. I think what's great is that the author was able to allow the reader to relate to the main character even though you may have never been in that type of situation.

“Because teenage girls don't pray to God, they pray to each other. They clasp their hands over a keyboard and then they let it all out, a (stupid) girl's heart tucked into another girl's heart.”
“There’s a miracle there, but there’s something so awful about it too, bringing someone into all this now, this world where a girl can’t even trust a drink that passes her lips. I can’t figure out the kind of heart it takes to do something like that.”



In a lot of books when the main character has a problem/illness/traumatic experience, they meet a guy, they fall in love and BAM everything is fixed, it's like magic. I hate it when this happens, it's definitely one of my pet peeves. Now Romy wasn't 'fixed'. In fact it was the opposite she still constantly struggled and still is by the end of the book. It shows the reader that it's not something that will be magically fixed by love.






Sometimes I felt a little bit like a lost duck, I had no idea what was going on. For example while I was reading the book I didn't know if Romy's mother knew about the rape. Obviously this was cleared up pretty quickly but it's just one of the things that bugged me because Romy and her mother never outright talked about the subject. But maybe that's just because my brain wasn't working? Yeah, probably that.


The ending in this book makes me feel conflicted. It left me feeling frustrated and fangirly at the same time? *spoiler* for example, what happens next? What happens to Romy and Leon?! What about Kellan? Is justice served?! Agh I seriously hate open endings. *end of spoiler* Without giving to much away the ending of this book left me in a puddle of mixed emotions and a lot of questions went unanswered.



Overall I think EVERYONE should read this book because as I said it touched beautifully upon the subject and the characters are written gloriously. Despite the things that bugged me the overall book was AMAZING. 


Have you read All the Rage? What did you think of it? What do you think of the way Summers wrote about this type of subject? Don't you think the writing is glorious?! 


No comments :

Post a Comment