Monday, 22 February 2016

Series Review - The Kanin Chronicles by Amanda Hocking

181054512405982024476465
Books: Frostfire, Ice-Kissed and Crystal Kingdom
Series: The Kanin Chronicles 
Author: Amanda Hocking Genre: 
Rating: 3/5 Stars
Source: Pan Macmillan SA in exchange for an honest review

Bryn Aven is an outcast among the Kanin, the most powerful of the troll tribes.

Set apart by her heritage and her past, Bryn is a tracker who's determined to become a respected part of her world. She has just one goal: become a member of the elite King’s Guard to protect the royal family. She's not going to let anything stand in her way, not even a forbidden romance with her boss Ridley Dresden.

But all her plans for the future are put on hold when Konstantin– a fallen hero she once loved – begins kidnapping changelings. Bryn is sent in to help stop him, but will she lose her heart in the process?





_________________________________________________________________________________

My thoughts: This is my second Amanda Hocking book that I've read, the first was Switched which was the first book in the Trylle trilogy. When I read Switched I couldn't get into it and I honestly just couldn't fall in love with the characters but I LOVED the world it was set in. So when I heard that the Kanin Chronicles was set in the same world I couldn't wait to give it another try. 

Like the first Amanda Hocking book I read I Loved the world, I thought it was so interesting to read about, but I found that unfortunately in this book if you haven't read the Switched series there wasn't a lot of world-building instead it was more all dumped on you in the beginning of the first book, Frostfire. Yes, you learned some more bits and pieces along the way but not a lot. I felt a little bit confused.

The characters. I really liked Tilda, to be completely honest I loved her way more then the main character, Bryn, and I don't think that that's exactly a good thing? I found Bryn to be a very narrow-minded person and at times she was a little bit catty, yes she did always apologize but unfortunately for me I just couldn't connect with her character. Bryn was unfortunately in my opinion one of those characters that were annoyingly independent. Now don't get me wrong I love independent characters but what I don't like is when that independent character refuses to accept help, that's not being independent that's being stupid.

Ridley, I loved but I wish he was more straightforward with Riley in terms of his feelings for her in the first book! It was obvious he liked her but yet he goes ahead and starts dating another girl named Junie and whenever this happens in any book it just completely irritates me. 

The romance was forced in my opinion, I couldn't feel any of the chemistry between them and I really wanted to because I definitely think that Ridley and Bryn could've been so good together but there was just something missing for me. 

On the more positive side I definitely think that this series had a lot of potential but unfortunately for me the series didn't improve as it went on.


What did you think of this series? 



No comments :

Post a Comment