Monday, 25 January 2016

Review - Geek Girl (Geek Girl #1) by Holly Smale

13621089Title: Geek Girl
Series: Geek Girl #1
Author: Holly Smale
Genre: YA contemporary
Published: 28 February 2013
Format: Paperback, 378 pages
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Source: My own

Harriet Manners knows a lot of things. 

She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves. 

As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did. 

And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?





_________________________________________________________________________________

My Thoughts: My best friend had recommended this book to me quite a while ago and she raved about it and I cannot believe I only picked it up now BUT I'm super duper glad that I did. I started this book in the middle of a 3 day dance show that I was doing. Bad decision! You can't put this book down! You're busy reading this in between dances and then all of sudden you have to go on stage and all you can think about is "What's gonna happen next? Those jokes are so freaking hilarious!" I could barely remember the steps to the dance that I was supposed to be performing in front of this audience of a 100 or so people, needless to say I had a bit of a mini-breakdown. In my mind of course, physically I was all cheesy smiles and showing off those pearly whites of mine. ;)



So basically the point is that this book is hilarious, not the normal kind of hilarious where you go on twitter and say "Haha this book, LOL." No, it's the kind of book that's leaving you conscious of your facial expressions if you're reading it in public and actually properly laughing out loud kind of book. It leaves you in complete hysterics as well as a crazy person that's laughing manically.




Harriet was just awesome. The situations that she got herself into were just ridiculous but then it would get you into another round of ROFLOL-ing again. When I went into this book I honestly didn't expect to connect or relate to her character as much as I actually did. Even though this book wasn't the typical book where it had some sort of important 'life lesson' in it, it still really reminded me of the importance of remembering who you are and sticking to it as well as not letting anyone change that.

#Lionkingforevvverrr<3


Another thing that really added to the whole ROFLOL-ing part of the book were the side characters. Nat with her flair for the dramatics, Toby the stalker and Harriet's stepmother and father who were complete polar opposites but had the most amazing banter on the planet! 

The romance in this book was extremely subtle but also just the right amount that it still had you rooting for them. Nick, oh Nick, I love you so much and you're so adorable and I'm terribly sorry Harriet (not really) but I'm going to have to steal him away from you. *googly eyes* 


Overall this book is packed with banter and moments of being in complete hysterics. It's the perfect lighthearted book to read after reading a book that has left you emotionally distraught. Even though we're still in the beginning of the new year I think that this book might just make it into my 2016 favorites list!

My rating: 5/5 Stars

What did you think of Geek Girl? Have you read any of the sequels? Are they as good as the first one? Let me know XD




No comments :

Post a Comment