Friday, 10 July 2015

Review - A Million Miles Away By Lara Avery

Series: None
Author: Lara Avery
Genre: Young adult, contemporary
Publication: 7 July 2015
Format: ebook
Rating: 4.5/5 Sneakers
Source: Via Netgalley (Thank you! )
When high school senior Kelsey's identical twin sister, Michelle, dies in a car crash, Kelsey is left without her other half. The only person who doesn't know about the tragedy is Michelle's boyfriend, Peter, recently deployed to Afghanistan. But when Kelsey finally connects with Peter online, she can't bear to tell him the truth. Active duty has taken its toll, and Peter, thinking that Kelsey is Michelle, says that seeing her is the one thing keeping him alive. Caught up in the moment, Kelsey has no choice: She lets Peter believe that she is her sister. As Kelsey keeps up the act, she crosses the line from pretend to real. Soon, Kelsey can't deny that she's falling, hard, for the one boy she shouldn't want.
When I saw this book on Netgalley and I read the blurb and all that jazz, I was immediately interested. I mean Military dude and a sort of forbidden love aspect to it and I'm there, so I was really excited to have a chance to read this book.

Jim Carey Excited

Reaction upon finishing: That was an enjoyable read but I don't really know how I feel right now.


So I uploaded the book to my iPad and immediately picked it up, but I didn't enjoy it as quick as I picked it up. It took a while for me to start to enjoy A Million Miles Away but once I started to get into it I couldn't stop reading it. 

I think what made it hard for me to get into at first was because I couldn't really relate to the heroine. I didn't agree with all the choices she made but I did in a way understand why she did what she did.
Another reason was because I'm not used to reading from third person in a book lately just really because most of my recent reads have been told from first person. But otherwise it wasn't a problem I just needed time to get used to it.

I adored the way Lara wrote this book (even though I wasn't used to third person) I thought the way she wrote the characters emotions and conflicted feelings was really well done.

The plot, I loved it I thought it was really fun to read about and I loved reading about Peter and Kelsey's relationship, and it was interesting reading about why Kelsey was lying to Peter but it was pretty darn weird how Peter couldn't tell the difference though. Which brings me on to say that some of the things that happened in this boom felt slightly a little bit to coincidental for my liking. *spoiler* For example: Sam found out that Kelsey was pretending to be Michelle and he says to Kelsey that she must tell Peter otherwise he will at some point, but then he dies because of the war. I just felt like that was just very coincidental. *end of spoiler*

Kelsey, I definitely did get frustrated with her sometimes but as I said before I understood in a way but I also couldn't relate to her. GAH, to many confusing emotions here people's!

Final thoughts: Otherwise I liked it a lot and I thought the romance was really cute in the end. It was a very nice, light and easy read.


3.5/5 Sneakers


+ I felt invested in the story.
- Unfortunately I didn't relate to the heroine at times.
+ I genuinely loved reading this story despite some minor issues.
- I didn't love the way it ended I felt like it was a little bit rushed but otherwise it was cute.




No comments :

Post a Comment