Monday, 6 July 2015

Review - Did I Mention I Love You (DIMILY #1) By Estelle Maskame

Title: Did I Mention I Love You
Series: Did I Mention I Love You #1
Author: Estelle Maskame
Genre: Young adult, contemporary 
Published: 1 July 2015
Format: Paperback, 422 pages
Rating: 5/5 Sneakers
Source: Black & White Publishing (Thank you! :))
When sixteen-year-old Eden Munro agrees to spend the summer with her estranged father in the beachfront city of Santa Monica, California, she has no idea what she’s letting herself in for. Eden's parents are divorced and have gone their separate ways, and now her father has a brand new family. For Eden, this means she's about to meet three new step-brothers. The eldest of the three is Tyler Bruce, a troubled teenager with a short temper and a huge ego. Complete polar opposites, Eden quickly finds herself thrust into a world full of new experiences as Tyler's group of friends take her under their wing. But the one thing she just can't understand is Tyler, and the more she presses to figure out the truth about him, the more she finds herself falling for the one person she shouldn't – her step-brother.
Throw in Tyler's clingy girlfriend and a guy who has his eyes set on Eden, and there's secrets, lies and a whole lot of drama. But how can Eden keep her feelings under control? And can she ever work out the truth about Tyler? 

*I received this from the publisher but this does not affect my opinion of the book*

Reaction upon finishing: Oh my gosh, I need more!! When's the next one coming out?! I could read this forever and never get tired of it.


I really ADORED this book, like a lot, like I need the next book right freaking now!

I love the way Estelle writes, it's really nice and simple and because of that it really compliments the story well! You could really see the writing in this book matured as it went on, it was never bad to begin with, it was actually really good but as you read on there were certain details that you notice she includes and I don't know how to explain it but it matured. I really think Estelle is incredibly talented for a seventeen year old author and I definitely see myself reading many future books of hers. 

The way the characters act in this story are at times really shallow and annoying but they're really real. I don't know about you but I think the characters that are in this story definitely act like the typical teenagers that are trying to be 'cool' and that's why I liked this book. Not to say that the characters in this story are all shallow, they aren't, the main characters in this story, Eden and Tyler, are very complicated characters that hold a lot of secrets that you don't even notice they're holding, which surprisingly I liked. 


I felt like the reactions of the characters were really raw and real in this book, Estelle captures the awkwardness of being a teenager in certain situations so perfectly! I literally found myself thinking, "Oh my gosh, that's so true." and "I totally relate to that." Basically I feel like anyone could relate to some of the situations in this book, be it an adult or a teenager. 

The characters in this book really do start to develop throughout the story, you see their layers being peeled back. Eden starts to stand up for herself in situations and Tyler starts to open up and you find out certain things about him that really locks all the puzzle pieces together and then there goes the light bulb, lighting up inside your brain. 

There was a lot of drama in this book and for some people that might not appeal to you but trust me Estelle does it right! The drama in this book isn't petty and annoying like it is in certain books. I'm really excited to see how everything is going to play out in the next two books. This was an excellent debut, that was done by a really young and talented author. If there was one word to describe this book it would be ADDICTIVE. 

Re-readability: YES! I can totally see myself re-reading this in the future.

Final Thoughts: I really great and relatable read. Although it has a few minor flaws but it's nothing you can't get past. I really do recommend this book to anyone, especially if you're a teenager, like me, because I feel like you'll really enjoy this book, even if you're an adult who reads young adult will also really enjoy this! 


There's something more to it all, something intriguing about who he really is beneath the tough guy that he's trying to project. I'm so interested, so infatuated, and I'm falling for him.
 "Don't you get it? You're not my distraction. This is me Eden. This. Right now. You're making me a goddamn mess, but I don't care, because it's me. I'm a mess. And the thing that I love about you is that I'm allowed to be a mess around you, because I trust you. You're the only one who's cared enough to figure me out. I want to be your mess."
"I haven't figured out your sense o humor yet," I defend, folding my arms across my chest and heaving a sigh. He's still a puzzle to me. "I didn't even know that you had one."


5/5 Sneakers

A new favourite.



+ I couldn't stop turning the pages.
+ I related the main character, Eden, really well.
- A few minor flaws, but nobodies perfect!

Have you read DIMILY before? Because I heard it was a Wattpad phenomenon, If you haven't read this I highly recommend you do! :D




No comments :

Post a Comment