Friday, 26 June 2015

Review - A Court Of Thorns And Roses (ACOTAR #1) By Sarah J. Maas

Title: A Court Of Thorns And Roses
Series: A Court Of Thorns And Roses #1
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Genre: Young adult, fantasy 
Published: 5 May 2015
Format: Paperback, 416 pages
Rating: 5/5 Sneakers
When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.
As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

Reaction upon finishing: 


This was one of my most anticipated book of 2015 and right now I have so many FEELS for this book right now that it's not even funny, I think I may just explode. Sarah J. Maas is so amazingly talented, how she's able to produce books this good? I don't even know, but I do know one thing for sure is that I LOVED this book. Sarah's like an evil genius, but without the evil part, because she seems like one of most nicest people ever.


The way Sarah writes the scenes that are filled with tension, anger and dread feel so real, it's like you're there with the characters. The way she describes things, characters etc. is amazing and it's something that I have always admired about her books. The characters are so detailed and the world-building so vivid, it really leaves me speechless. her writing is something that I could read for forever and ever, it was like basking in the warmth of the sun during winter, you crave the warmth.

The characters in this story are one of  a kind, they're so unique and complex. I love Lucien, I love him, okay. Half the time I couldn't decide whether I wanted to slap him upside the head or cuddle him. He brought the humor to the story.

“Do you ever stop being so serious and dull?"
"Do you ever stop being such a prick?" I snapped back.
Dead—really, truly, I should have been dead for that.
But Lucien grinned at me. "Much better.”  

When I say her characters are complex, I mean Tamlin, he's so interesting and so different to what I've read before. He is so beautifully written, he's shrouded in mystery and darkness in the beginning of this book and as the story progressed you saw a funny and qwerky side to him, and it just makes you fall in love with him even more. (by the way I ship  Tamlin and Feyre. Famlin forever <3)

One of my favourite parts of this book - and I say one of them because I have so many - is when Tamlin reads those poems to Feyre. Oh my gosh, the whole duration of that scene I felt a smile sneak on to my face, even though we didn't hear what the other poems said besides the first one, I still had so many FEELS!! Like I needed to tell someone, so I settled on telling my mom but she's not a bookworm so she didn't get it but, ahh the feels, there was so many of them.
Sensing I wasn't about to draw an arrow and shoot him, Tamlin took the papers and read the fifth poem, the dirtiest and foulest of them all. When he finished, I tipped my head and howled, my laughter like sunshine shattering age-hardened ice. 
- THE FEELS, I AM DROWNING-
feels

Feyre, gosh I really really loved reading from her POV, I feel like I relate to her so much despite the fact that we have nothing in common, Sarah seems to have a way of doing that with her characters. Feyre's determination in the beginning of the book was really admirable and I think what I liked about her the most was that she continued to love and provide for her family even though they were a bunch of twits sometimes. Feyre was also like Lucien really witty and asdfghjk! That was me fangirling in case you didn't notice. 
"I'm surprised you're even allowed to participate tonight."
"Unfortunately for you and your neck," Lucien countered, "tonight's just a party."
"Do you lie awake at night to come up with all your witty replies for the following day?"
Lucien winked at me and Tamlin laughed.

The romance was so awesome, like I don't even know what to say. One thing I can say though was that it was HOT, phew. Besides all the hot funny business that came about, the romance was really lovely to read about. I loved seeing the slow progression of their relationship and GAH, it was just so beautiful *swoon* Another thing that I loved about this book was that the romance and the action were balanced, I personally love romance so it never really bothers me to much if sometimes the romance overshadows the action but I do love me some action as well, so this was really just the perfect blend of both.
But I gave myself again to that fire, threw myself into it, into him, and I let myself burn.
Final thoughts: It was an amazing read that, and I definitely understand why there is so much hype centered around this book, it keeps you on your toes and it's a great start to this series and I can't wait to continue it. I HIGHLY recommend that you go and read this book because a) It's by Sarah J. Maas b) It's amazing c) Because I said so, so go. right now.
Re-readability: HELL YES!



“You look . . . better than before."Was that a compliment? I could have sworn Lucien gave Tamlin an encouraging nod."And you hair is . . . clean.” 
“I was as unburdened as a piece of dandelion fluff, and he was the wind that stirred me about the world.” 
 “I was loosened, a top whirling around and around, and I didn't know who I danced with or what they looked like, only that I had become the music and the fire and the night, and there was nothing that could slow me down.” 
“I'm serious," Lucien said as I lifted the glass to my lips, my brows raised. "Remember the last time you ignored my warning?" He poked me in the neck, and I batted his hand away.
"I also remember you telling me how witchberries were harmless, and the next thing I knew, I was half-delirious and falling all over myself," I said, recalling the afternoon from a few weeks ago. I'd had hallucinations for hours afterwards, and Lucien had laughed himself sick-enough so that Tamlin had chucked him into the reflection pool.”  



5/5 Sneakers



+ Everything about this was amazing. Do I need to say more?

What did you think of ACOTAR? Who do you ship? Let me know :D


No comments :

Post a Comment