Monday, 29 June 2015

Review - Blue By H. J. Bellus

Title: Blue 
Series: None
Author: H. J. Bellus 
Genre: New adult, contemporary romance
Published: 16 June 2015 
Format: ebook, 
Rating: N/A


Blue Williams shines no matter the circumstance.-Prettiest in her hometown-Most talented cheerleader on her high school squad-Valedictorian of the senior class-Prom queen and runner up for Miss Teen ColoradoAnd the list goes on…
That’s until college, when she finds out nobody recognizes her, and if they do they couldn’t care less. Blending in is something Blue has longed for her entire life. Living in a dorm with a set of new friends is just what she needed to escape her stale life back home. For the first time, she’s seen for her talent and not her name or looks.
Cheer is her number one priority, considering a full-ride scholarship landed her at a prestigious university, and she intends to take advantage of it. A true beauty inside and out, Blue’s heart has always pumped competitive blood. 
Until one night changes her forever…the beauty is gone, and all she has left are nasty, ugly memories. The man who saved her has a story of his own, with ninety percent of his body scarred. 
What happens when the Beauty falls for the Beast?

Reaction upon finishing: That was disappointing.. 
Fake Smile


When I first started to read this book I couldn't help but picture Blue as Scarlett O' Conner from the TV show Nashville, both of them are quite innocent looking in the beginning with long blonde and golden locks of hair (Geez, it sounds like I'm talking about Rapunzel here) Or maybe that's because I was alternating between binge watching Nashville and reading Blue. And because of that I imagined all the characters speaking all redneck like, yeah it got quite annoying. Even while I am typing this I am thinking it in a redneck accent, I think I've been watching to much Nashville episodes..yeah I probably have.

I love Blue's dad, HA he was the funniest!! He laughs at his own corny jokes and I do the same, we should totally be best friends! Except that would be slightly weird because he's like old and I'm 16 and I don't think that would work. 
"Blue, you look so black." I hear my dad laugh at his own corny-ass joke.
Like I don't even get that joke at all but I can totally see myself doing the same thing!  
I really loved the relationship Blue's parents had with Blue, it was really just cute and snarky and really happy, it gave me the warm fuzzies! XD

Blue, the girl with the long golden locks of hair a.k.a Rapunzel, yeah her, she trips a lot! Like the falling kind of tripping and every time that happens some hot guy seems to catch her in his waiting arms. 
As I wait to land face down, two arms wrap around me, and I squeal from being startled. "Easy there, tiger." I look up to Noah's dazzling smile.
What is up with that?..and it isn't even just that one time, it was like in nearly every scene in the duration of the beginning of the book. (okay, I admit, I'm exaggerating a teensy weensy bit but still..huh?)

Blue was sometimes a little bit to emotional an dramatic at times (or maybe I'm just not emotional enough?)
I just want the old Blue back, but I have a feeling down that Tuck has placed an invisible curse on me.
I just don't get that. At all. Because when we first met Blue in the beginning of the book she was the exactly the same as she is now, like I don't get how she can say she wants the 'old Blue' back, it just doesn't..gahh, I can't even.

Otherwise I really enjoyed reading from her POV. I adored her snarkiness, I felt like it made up for her over emotional tendencies and it really just made me laugh and smile, simple as that.
Another thing about Blue was that she seemed to be happy all he freaking time, now I know that isn't a bad thing, I mean I wish I could be happy like that all the time but dude all I could think was: how can you be so happy all the freaking time?!

The romance between Tuck and Blue was confusing to say the least, I didn't always get what was going on half the time with them, at times it even felt a little bit forced. There seemed to be a little bit of instalove with them, especially on Blue's side, now I'm not saying that Blue was all like 'I love you.' straight away but she was more all 'I want you to be boyfriend right now' sort of thing. There was also a bunch of backwards and forwards thing going on with them as well, I'm not saying that I normally don't like it, I do, but it has to be done correctly and in this case it wasn't done the best. Now the romance wasn't all bad but unfortunately it wasn't one of my favourites. To be honest I think I liked Noah better then Tuck at times, I don't know he just so cute and genuine.

The characters in general were all really fun to read about but I also felt like they all seemed to chop and change a lot, especially the main characters, Tuck and Blue. Too be honest I don't actually know why I feel that way, I just do, but they did all have some redeeming qualities, which was mostly their humor and snarkiness that Blue mainly produced. 

Towards the end if the book though there was a ton of unnecessary drama that actually made me want to put the book down when it got to much, but I stuck it through. 

My final thoughts: It started off with a lot of hope in the beginning for this book but it sort of went down after the half mark. The whole last quarter of the book ruined it for me, it was filled with endless amounts of drama and unfortunately it isn't something that I would recommend. :(

2.5/5 Sneakers


- the last quarter of the book was filled with to much drama
+ I loved Blue's dad's humor
- Blue was a little bit to emotional and dramatic








No comments :

Post a Comment