Saturday, 23 May 2015

Review - Red Queen (Red Queen #1) By Victoria Aveyard

Title: Red Queen 

Series: Red Queen #1
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Published: 10 February 2015, Orion
Format: Paperback, 383 pages
Rating: 5/5 Sneakers
The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.
To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.
Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre ofthose she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.
But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?


Reaction upon finishing: HOLY CRAP, I need the next book right freaking now!!
OMG LOL

But then this is me realizing the next book is only being released next year..
hurt feelings

description

When I picked this book up I had incredibly high expectations because of all the hype that had been surrounding it, but boy did it meet them. Red Queen kept me interested from the very first page. 
I finished this book in one day, I read from morning to exactly 9:07 PM, and I haven't read a book that I didn't want to put down in a long time, it was just so nice to experience that again. 

*WARNING: This review will consist of lots of fangirling ;)*

I really loved the characters in this book, although I didn't immediately like them, it was more like a slow, gradual build up of what I felt towards to the characters. (And can I just say that I ship Cal and Mare so hard! They are just so cool and badass.) Cal, is the definition of tall, dark and mysterious, he is a complete and utter badass. I don't even know how to translate how I feel about him into words. 
Sherlock Feelings

Mare was just awesome. She was badass.
Brave.
Sassy. 
Smart.
And just an amazing heroine throughout this entire book.

The worldbuilding in this story was interesting to read and learn about, Victoria's writing filled you in on how the world worked but she didn't overload you with a bucket full of information.
The concept and premise of this book was intriguing.
Victoria's writing really brought out the feelings of betrayal and victory in this book, it made you want to jump up and down when there was a victory and it also made you want to scream in frustration and shock from the betrayal and lies that were revealed.

The romance in this book was subtle, so it didn't takeover the story. But when the romance did spark up, it made me want to jump for joy, in other words I was just one big pile of fangirling chaos. 
Jon Stewart Fangirling

This book is full of betrayal and plot twists that I could not see coming, it really hit me with a HUGE pile of feels..
Literally.
feels

My final thoughts: I definitely recommend this to people who are new to the fantasy world, it will give you the best first experience of the young adult fantasy world. It's full of twists and turns that you cannot see coming. It has everything that I love in a YA fantasy book.

Re-readability: Probably when I feel like re-visiting all those feels and characters.

Will I read the next book in this series? DEFINITELY


“Anyone can betray anyone.”
“The gods rule us still. They have come down from the stars. And they are no longer kind.”  

“Are you going to babysit me every day or just until I learn my way around?"
"What do you think?"
"Here's to a long and happy friendship, Officer Samos."
"Likewise, my lady."
"Don't call me that."
"Whatever you say, my lady.”  

“Silvers don't mind pain, but we are proud. Pride, dignity, honor; those are things no ability can replace.” 

“Their Silver war is being paid for in Red blood.”  

“In school, we learned about the world before ours, about the angels and gods that lived in the sky, ruling the earth with kind and loving hands. Some say those are just stories, but I don't believe that.
The gods rule us still, they have come down from the stars. And they are no longer kind.” 

5/5 Sneakers

- Kept me reading non-stop from start to finish

- I enjoyed the characters

- I loved the world that this book contained

- Had a plot twist that I did not see coming at all!

What did you think of Red Queen? Have you read it? Let me know your thoughts down below.




No comments :

Post a Comment