Friday, 8 May 2015

ARC Review - A Magic Dark And Bright (The Asylum Saga #1) By Jenny Adams Perinovic

Title: A Magic Dark And Bright
Series: The Asylum Saga #1
Author: Jenny Adams Perinovic
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal
Publication: 28 April 2015, Bookish Girl Press
Format: eARC
Rating: 3.5/5 Sneakers


She meant to help a ghost...not unleash a curse.
Amelia Dupree hasn’t seen the Woman in White since the night her brother died. 
The ghost seems to have disappeared from the woods surrounding Asylum, Pennsylvania—that is, until Charlie Blue moves into the creepy old MacAllister House next door. Amelia can’t help liking him, even though she spent her childhood thinking his grandmother was a witch. And she definitely can’t ignore the connection between his arrival and the Woman in White’s return. 
Then Amelia learns that the Woman in White is a prisoner, trapped between the worlds of the living and the dead. Devastated by the idea that her brother could be suffering a similar fate, Amelia decides to do whatever it takes to help the Woman in White find peace--and Charlie agrees to help her.
But when Amelia’s classmates start to drown in the Susquehanna River, one right after another, rumors swirl as people begin to connect the timing of Charlie’s arrival with the unexplained deaths. As Charlie and Amelia uncover the dark history of Asylum, they realize they may have unleashed an unspeakable evil. One they have to stop before everything they love is destroyed.


*I received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

Reaction Upon Finishing: That was nice and enjoyable.

This was one of the first books that I had requested on Netgalley, back when I started my blog in March. The blurb was what really drew me in as it seemed to have an interesting setting and story line. 
So when I got approved to review this book I was very excited, I didn't have very high expectations for it, I was expecting something more than average, and that's what I got, I'm still undecided on whether that is a good thing or not..

When I started to read this book it immediately drew me in, because I could immediately notice that it had an almost historical aspect to it which I really loved reading about. When we start this book we learn that  Mark, Amelia's brother has died and she is still in the process of grieving, she then notices that strange things are happening, she is seeing ghosts, as well as meeting a cute new boy A.K.A. Charlie Blue. Can I just say that his name really made me laugh *facepalm*
"Hey," he said. "You must be Amelia. Grams said you'd be stopping by. I'm Charlie Blue."
When he says this all I could imagine was him speaking in a southern/Texas accent with some missing teeth, I couldn't help but giggle to myself.

Yeehaw! (Obviously there's no actual shooting involved)


I really enjoyed the way the author wrote in this book, although nothing special, it was still very enjoyable to read. But to be perfectly honest it was at times a little bit repetitive in terms of her adjectives. Eg. He laughed a full, rich laugh. I found she said that quite a few times in the book, but you get the general idea of what I am saying.

Amelia, I couldn't relate to her at all, as I found she was sometimes unnecessarily dramatic at times when it wasn't needed, I also felt like she wallowed in her grief a little bit to much in the beginning of the book sometimes, I mean it's fine when a character in a book is grieving but I don't like it when the character is constantly grieving and always sad, But she was still a lovely character to read about. The major issue for me with Amelia's character though was that I just couldn't relate to her on a personal level nor an emotional level.
Charlie Blue, *laughs silently* I adored his character, he was very rational and made plenty of logical decisions, which I loved. He was incredibly adorable as he always blushes and I just can't help myself from hugging him in my mind whenever he does this.

I'm busy sending Charlie a virtual hug.

At first I didn't really love the characters because I found their personalities to be slightly inconsistent, so I couldn't really get a hold of what made them, them. As a whole I found the characters to be a little bit gullible at times, they would never question anything therefore I never really agreed with all of their actions, except for Charlie ;). They also never stopped to think about the consequences. I also found myself not as invested with the characters as I had hoped to be. But overall I loved reading about them.

The Romance, Although slightly cheesy and cliche, it was still very cute, sometimes I find the cliche romances are the best romances. There were a few things that I felt like I had seen before, like the banter, it wasn't anything original but still nice. It was also a very enjoyable and slow romance.

The climax in this book didn't particularly surprise or shock me, it was something that I though might happen.


My Final Thoughts: A very compelling mystery novel, although at times a little bit cliche it was still incredibly adorable as well as enjoyable to read. It was definitely a book that made me smile and giggle.




"On the contrary. The best secrets are the ones you share with someone else. You can trust me."
"Can I?" I blinked up at him, my face serious. "Okay, here it goes. My natural hair colour is neon green. You have no idea how hard it is to get it this blond to comply with the dress code at school."
The room even smelled like my grandma's house, a mix between cookies and flowers and that thing I could never put my finger on, that thing that smelled like old people.
"Harry Potter? Boy wizard? Seriously?" Charlie's voice rose with each question. He shot me a wide-eyed look. "Dude, how did you survive childhood?"



And for those of you who have read this book and enjoyed it:
If you like this book, you will like Obsidian by J. Armentrout.
Why? because they are both in my opinion quite lighthearted and filled with scenes that will make you giggle as well as smile.

3.5/5 Sneakers


- Took me a while to get into the characters.

- I wasn't as invested in the characters as I hoped to be.

- The story just missed that little something!

Thank you for reading this review! x


No comments :

Post a Comment