Friday, 17 April 2015

Review - Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Title: Stargirl
Series: Stargirl #1
Author: Jerry Spinelli
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction
Published: 30 June 2000, Scholastic
Format: Paperback, 186 pages
Rating: 4.5 Sneakers


From the day she arrives at quiet Mica High in a burst of color and sound, hallways hum “Stargirl.” She captures Leo Borlock’s heart with one smile. She sparks a school-spirit revolution with one cheer. The students of Mica High are enchanted. Until they are not. Leo urges her to become the very thing that can destroy her - normal.







My feelings for this book cannot be put into words.
It was one of the most inspiring and intriguing books that I have read since the start of this year. To be honest when I bought this book from my second-hand bookstore, I picked it up because of the cover, although the blurb didn't interest me I still bought it because, well its a book and I love books.

I recently just finished the third book from the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, which you can check out my review over here. And because that book was so emotionally draining (in the best way possible) I was looking for something that was small and easy to read, and alas I came across Stargirl.

When I started reading this book the beginning surprisingly enough didn't captivate me or interest me that much, but I continued to read on. And as I read on I found myself not being able to put this book  down! I wanted to know more about the mysterious and queer Stargirl.

I love the way Jerry writes, he writes in such a beautiful and poetic way.
This book focuses on popularity in high school, and inspires you to appreciate all the little things in life. 
When we meet Stargirl you instantly notice that she is different from everyone else. She is simply an unusual girl that can't be put into words. 


“We wanted to define her, to wrap her up as we did each other, but we could not seem to get past "weird" and "strange" and "goofy." Her ways knocked us off balance. ”


When Stargirl first shows up at school, she is queer but constantly focuses on making other people happy, and trying to make their day. So at first she becomes pretty popular and climbs up the social ladder unintentionally. But then all of sudden she isn't popular anymore because of the events that occur during the book. But this didn't really phase her.

But it was heart breaking to see how easily people turned their backs on her, all because they decided they didn't like her anymore. They all simply followed each other around like sheep, and it was sad to read about.

Heartbroken.


This book is told in the POV of Leo. Leo is basically the normal average teenager. But when he sees Stargirl he is intrigued by her and so their romance begins. Leo then starts to feel like a nobody because people are shunning him because he is dating Stargirl. So he then tries to change Stargirl.


Leo was a character that you really wanted to hate but simply couldn't because you could totally understand where he was coming from. He really loved Stargirl, but he hated that he was being shunned. I cant exactly explain how I feel about Leo, but I do really like him, as he does realize his mistakes.

It was really nice to read a book for a change that was real. It was a complete eye-opener in so many different ways.  Another word to describe this book is that it was inspiring and it really made you think and put what was going on in this book and imagine it as a real life situation.(does that make sense?) I can't wait to read the sequel of this book as there was a mild cliffhanger. This is definitely something that everyone should read, and is definitely something that I shall re-read!

My Favourite Quotes:

"It's really hard to do nothing totally. Even just sitting here, like this, our bodies are churning, our minds are chattering. There's a whole commotion going on inside us."

“She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl. We did not know what to make of her. In our minds we tried to pin her to a cork board like a butterfly, but the pin merely went through and away she flew.”

“The earth is speaking to us, but we can't hear because of all the racket our senses are making. Sometimes we need to erase them, erase our senses. Then - maybe - the earth will touch us. The universe will speak. The stars will whisper.” 

“It's in the morning, for most of us. It's that time, those few seconds when we're coming out of sleep but we're not really awake yet. For those few seconds we're something more primitive than what we are about to become. We have just slept the sleep of our most distant ancestors, and something of them and their world still clings to us. For those few moments we are unformed, uncivilized. We are not the people we know as ourselves, but creatures more in tune with a tree than a keyboard. We are untitled, unnamed, natural, suspended between was and will be, the tadpole before the frog, the worm before the butterfly. We are for a few brief moments, anything and everything we could be. And then...and then -- ah -- we open our eyes and the day is before us and ... we become ourselves.” 

“You liked me."I smiled. "You were smitten with me. You were speechless to behold my beauty. You had never met anyone so fascinating. You thought of me every waking minute. You dreamed about me. You couldn't stand it. You couldn't let such wonderfulness out of your sight. You had to follow me."I turned to Cinnamon. He licked my nose. "Don't give yourself so much credit. It was your rat I was after."She laughed, and the desert sang.”

“Throughout the day, Stargirl had been dropping money. She was the Johnny Appleseed of loose change: a penny here, a nickel there. Tossed to the sidewalk, laid on a shelf or bench. Even quarters. "I hate change," she said. "It's so . . . jangly.""Do you realize how much you must throw away in a year?" I said."Did you ever see a little kid's face when he spots a penny on a sidewalk?”  
My Rating 
4.5 Sneakers


Lots of love
Kristin @ Simply Bookish Things 
XOXO

No comments :

Post a Comment