Monday, 6 April 2015

Review - Shattered Souls (Souls #1) by Mary Lindsey

Title: Shattered Souls
Series: Souls #1
Author: Mary Lindsey
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal
Published: 6 December 2012, Speak/Penguin
Format: Paperback, 336 pages
Rating: 


Lenzi hears voices and has visions - gravestones, floods, a boy with steel gray eyes. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't help, and everything keeps getting louder and more intense. Then Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, who reveals that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to and help lost souls - and that he has been her Protector for centuries.
Now Lenzi must choose between her life with Zak and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. But time is running out: a malevolent spirit is out to destroy Lenzi, and he will kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon.




*Highlight the spoilers to be able to read them*
*Disclaimer: this is a rant review, beware*


Let me just start off by saying I really tried to get into this book, I really did but I just couldn't. And I really hate when I dislike or don't enjoy a book, it makes me feel so disappointed and let down! And I am sad to say that this book just wasn't my cup of tea.

The characters, to be honest the characters in this story I found to be whiny and immature.
I found their opinions and personality to be inconsistent, as they constantly changed their mind like nobodies business, with absolutely no sort of explanation. 


*face palm*

I didn't care what happened to the characters, whether they lived or died, there was no connection.

The dialogue, was annoying. I can't exactly pinpoint exactly why I thought that, I just did.
Whenever the characters would talk I found myself thinking 'shhhh, you're making my ears ring'




The writing, was almost immature in a way. About half way through the book it finally started to pick up and I was thinking 'okay, maybe it's going to get better..'
But then it just fell flat, as flat as as a pancake.


I was just like 'Whatever.'


The plot, I felt like it had no specific well..plot. But I think that just might be me?
Everything about the plot I found to be just average, unoriginal and just MEH.
For example, the whole resolving the souls problems thing: The so called problems that these souls had were very minor and really sort of stupid, and because of that I felt like the story didn't provide any excitement. At times I seriously wanted to DNF this book, but I trudged on.  I didn't like the whole incarceration part of the story I found it slightly frustrating.

The love interests..*sigh* I strongly disliked them in other words hated them. It was a love triangle gone wrong. *spoiler* Lenzi took forever to break up with her boyfriend, when she clearly didn't like Zac. *spoiler*

Zac, as I said before the characters were inconsistent, in this case it was his personality. He went from nice to the complete opposite, he was freaking bi-polar!

Alden, he was also inconsistent one minute he wanted to kiss Lenzi and act all jealous. So Lenzi would lean in for a kiss and then he says: 


"What you were about to was impulsive and emotional."


I just don't understand him. These characters were beyond melodramatic!

Lenzi, she was like a 8 year old trapped in a teenagers body, she was whiny, immature and irritating. Blegh.

Over all I didn't enjoy this book for numerous reasons, and in my personal opinion I wouldn't recommend this book to someone that isn't a book lover as it is very slow, and even if you are a book lover, I found there were many frustrating things about this book.

What did you think of this book? Please let me know whether you enjoyed it or not.

Lots of love
Kristin @ simply bookish things
XOXO

No comments :

Post a Comment