Saturday, 18 April 2015

Review - Poison Study (Study #1) by Maria V. Snyder

Title: Poison Study
Series: Study #1
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Published: 21 September 2007, MIRA Books
Format: Paperback, 409 pages 
Rating: 4/5 Sneakers


Choose: A quick death Or slow poison...
Yelena has a choice – be executed for murder, or become food taster to the Commander of Ixia. She leaps at the chance for survival, but her relief may be short-lived.
Life in the palace is full of hazards and secrets. Wily and smart, Yelena must learn to identify poisons before they kill her, recognise whom she can trust and how to spy on those she can’t. And who is the mysterious Southern sorceress who can reach into her head?
When Yelena realises she has extraordinary powers of her own, she faces a whole new problem, for using magic in Ixia is punishable by death...



I’ve heard so much about this series from within the blogosphere as well as booktube, and this book was just gloomily sitting on my shelves collecting dust, literally.
Therefore, after a lot of contemplating, I decided to pick it up. And the very next day I bought the second and third book of the series..

Everything about this book looked intriguing, from the blurb to the cover, but when I started to read it the beginning felt slow, not in the sense of the writing, but more because I was in a very distracted mood. Around pages 50-70 it really started to pick up. 
Over-all the writing is was fast paced as well as descriptive, and in my opinion I love when the writing is descriptive as it creates such a great visual of the setting and characters.

The plot was so cool, it was interesting and also a little bit different to what I have read before, therefore it was original.
In the beginning it was hard to figure out who the good guys and the bad guys were (besides the obvious bad guys in the story..) although I did mainly support for one team/country, I was still very fond of the other as well.

The romance, at first I thought there was no romance but then it started dropping little hints here and there…and alas a slow burn-romance was born.
When I realized that the romance in this book had a nice slow burn to it I was ecstatic,
because recently I have been reading some romance books that contained the dreadful ‘insta-love’ and I loathe it with a passion.
I feel like there is no passion to the romance as well as depth when there is insta-love, where as a slow burn romance is the complete opposite and that pleases me.

The cup = insta-love..


I don’t want to really give away who the love interest is, as I liked how slowly realized who it was throughout the book. Although for some it may be pretty obvious and for some it may not. (like me..)

 The heroine AKA Yelena.
I don't know about you but I adored her from the very beginning.
Although in my opinion I didn't feel like her character developed that much throughout the book as she was already a very strong character. I loved how she always proved everyone wrong, as well as her attitude towards everything.

Valek, he was just so badass.
It was fun to read about his character as he really just kicked all those mean baddies’ butts!
He was also a very mysterious and broody person which I loved about him.

Ari and Janco, it was such a pleasure to read about these two characters, the banter between them and Yelena was so funny and light-hearted, that they added a certain light feeling to the book.

Overall this book was very good, as it was fast paced and extremely interesting. Although I did find it lacked the ‘WOW’ factor as well as the surprise.
But I still recommend this book to everyone and I hope anyone who reads this enjoys it
 as much as I did, and I can't wait to continue this series!


My rating:
4/5 Sneakers



Lots of love
Kristin @ Simply Bookish Things
XOXO

No comments :

Post a Comment