Wednesday, 22 April 2015

Review - Magic Study (Study#2) by Maria V.Snyder

Title: Magic Study
Series: Study #2
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Published: 16 May 2008, MIRA Books
Format: Paperback, 419 pages
Rating: 3.5/5 Sneakers


You know your life is bad when you miss your days as a poison taster... 
With an execution order on her head, Yelena has no choice but to escape to Sitia, the land of her birth. With only a year to master her magic - or face death - Yelena must begin her apprenticeship and travels to the Four Towers of the Magician's Keep.
But nothing in Sitia is familiar. Not the family to whom she is a stranger. Not the unsettling new facets of her magic. Nor the brother who resents her return. As she struggles to understand where she belongs and how to control her rare powers, a rogue magician emerges - and Yelena catches his eye.
Suddenly she is embroiled in battle of good against evil. And once again it will be her magical abilities that will either save her life...or be her downfall.




I picked this book up straight after I had finished the first book of this series, Poison Study, which you can check out my review over here.
I was excited to start reading this book as the last book had a mild cliffhanger to it and clever me, I had the rest of the series on my shelf right next my bed, where I could grab it and immediately start flipping the pages..

As in the previous book Maria’s writing was terrific as well as very descriptive and visual, none of my thoughts of the second book were really different from the first book. Again, the plot was incredibly intriguing and I constantly wanted to know what would happen next, it was also very different to other books I have read, therefore it was original.



At the end of every chapter there was a cliffhanger..I would be reading it before bed and I am at the end of the chapter and..BAM, cliffhanger, and I think I’ll just go onto the next one and then I'll go to bed..and then all of a sudden it’s midnight…and I can’t wake up for school the next morning...

The second book of the Yelena Zaltana series starts straight after where the first book left us, Yelena is on her long journey to Sitia, the Southern part of this books world.

In this book we meet many new characters including Yelena’s long lost family whom she thought were dead. Her mother was so sweet and overprotective, which you could totally understand as her long lost daughter has now returned and will not let her out of her sight, which although I must admit at times I felt sorry for Yelena with all that coddling she was suffocated in. *shudders*

Her dad, Esau, is a very nice chilled guy, overall he was just really nice..(my vocabulary is just the best today isn't? *sarcasm*)

We also meet her brother, Leif, I wanted to shake some sense into him sometimes, I just couldn't understand him at all! Although he does sort of redeem himself, which made me not as frustrated as I was.

We then meet the annoying, immature Cahil..I HATE HIM! I hate him. I hate him. Did I say I hate him?! He was the most annoying and brattiest person on the planet I just can’t even!!



Through out the book Yelena also starts to learn about her powers, which was really lovely to read about. Although I did find like there was no gradual build up to her learning how to control her powers, it was just more like one minute she can’t control then all of a sudden she can kind of thing.

Valek doesn’t really appear that much in the book, only towards the last 100 or so pages, and I really missed him, it wasn’t the same without him.
But when he does come in there is just so much more excitement added to the book, because well it’s Valek.

Yelena, at times I was incredibly frustrated with her! She just didn’t know how to work with other people, but I do understand that she is adjusting to being in Sitia.
As Irys says:

I’m at my wit’s end. You’re so focused on action. You have a single-minded determination that barrels through situations.

Yes, so sometimes Yelena doesn't realise that her actions don’t only affect her but others as well. Otherwise Yelena was a real badass.

Another thing I just have to mention is that I adore the romance between Valek and Yelena, it is just so sweet and adorable.



All in all this book was a great sequel to the book, but I did unfortunately prefer the first book. But you should still definitely continue the series!

My rating: 4 sneakers


Off I go to read the next book, happy reading!
Kristin @ Simply Bookish Things
XOXO

No comments :

Post a Comment