Tuesday, 17 March 2015

Review - Rebel by Amy Tintera

Title: Rebel 
Series: Reboot #2
Author: Amy Tintera
Genre: Dystopia
Published: 13 May 2014, HarperTeen
Format: Paperback. 340 pages
Rating: 3/5 Hearts

Wren Connolly thought she'd left her human side behind when she dies five years ago and came back 178 minutes later as a Reboot. With her new abilities of strength, speed, and healing—along with a lack of emotions—Wren 178 became the perfect soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation). Then Callum 22 came along and changed everything.
Now that they've both escaped, they're ready to start a new life in peace on the Reboot reservation. But Micah 163, the Reboot running the reservation, has darker plans in mind: to wipe out the humans. All of them. Micah has been building a Reboot army for years and is now ready to launch his attack on the cities. Callum wants to stick around and protect the humans. Wren wants nothing more than to leave all the fighting behind them.
With Micah on one side, HARC on the other, and Wren and Callum at odds in the middle, there's only one option left...
It's time for Reboots to become rebels


*This contains SPOILERS for people who haven't read the first book, but is otherwise spoiler free*

*All quotes come from the book or goodreads, but they are not my own*



Our main heroine, Wren, and hero, Callum, are both reboots. Reboots are people that have died and were infected with the KDH virus and have then come back to life (not in the zombie sorta way!) and have enhanced abilities. The second book starts where the first book finished and they have found the sanctuary for reboots. We learn about the challenges Wren and Callum face together.
They still have to defeat the rest of the HARC facilities and make peace with the humans.

When I first started this book it took me about 100 or so pages to get into it, but I think this was a result of waiting so long to pick up the second book. I really enjoyed the world they lived in, I thought it was interesting and exciting and I would have liked to learn more about it. Overall I really enjoyed it.

 I couldn't quite connect to the characters emotionally sometimes to the point where I honestly didn't care whether they lived or died. At times I felt like Callum only saw everything in black and white and refused to admit that there are some gray areas when you live in a world like they live in. As Addie says:

"The only reason he's all high and mighty about killing people is because he was only at HARC for a few weeks. He doesn't understand what we went through."

With Wren I felt frustrated with her character because I couldn't really connect with her as much as I would have liked to or relate to her.

FRUSTRATION!


But as I read on both their characters really did develop throughout the rest of the book, Callum started to understand why people did certain things and really kicked some bad guy's butts! And I just wanted to jump and down saying "Yeah! That's how you do it! GO CALLUM."



Wren's character also really developed during the second half of the book, and you could see her progress from not really caring about the well-being of people to helping people and I was really proud of her!

"It didn't feel like a victory. Callum has said once it was only appropriate to kill someone in self-defense, which this had been, but it still made me uncomfortable in a new, unwelcome way."

Callum and Wren in the beginning of the book were really pretty bland as a couple and there wasn't much excitement, but again as the story went on so did their relationship. I just wanted to clap them on the backs. I founds they really balanced each other out towards the end of the book.

One of my absolute favourite characters throughout the entire book was Addie, who Wren saved from HARC. She was really just a constant source of happiness and humor, she made me laugh and was a very straight forward, 'didn't beat around the bush kind' of person. She just made me so happy!

*fangirls*

What I found with this book was that it progressed throughout the book and got better and better. Overall I really enjoyed this book and recommend it to many others that feel like a light, that's not too dark, dystopian read.

I rate this book 3/5 hearts! :)



What did you think of this book? Leave your links in the comments below!

Lots of love
Simply Bookish Things XOXO













No comments :

Post a Comment